Welcome!

This blog is set up to give my students access to information relevant to the content of the classes I teach at UVU and BYU. I will be posting links to blog posts, websites, and news that will be of particular interest to them, as well as digital downloads of my syllabi and in-class handouts. I will also be posting student work and in class demos. The posts can be sorted for relevancy by the labels list on the left side. I've also integrated my Twitter account on the left hand side for quick links that aren't deserving of larger articles.


Sunday, February 13, 2011

Mike Mignola

The preeminent Mike Mignola was recently featured in an article on his use of architecture.

He also provided USA Today with a great short Hellboy story.

I like to show Mignola's work to my students because of his application of simple black and white design (notan) to clearly show what's going on in an image. He allows the lights to merge together and the darks to merge together to convey mood and meaning.  Keeping them absolutely distinct clarifies the narrative and creates more engaging imagery. This is an especially helpful consideration when developing their thumbnails and should be kept in mind during the entire development of a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment